#2 of this exceptional and benchmark blue water cruising yacht from Ron Holland and the chaps at Discovery. The Discovery 58 is British yacht building at its very best, she was conceived and built for very serious blue water cruising. She has a smart dark blue hull, automated rig, stunning crown oak interior and has smart vertical windows in the hull that flood the owner’s cabin with light. As with all her sisters, she has a genuine deck saloon and watch keeping from below is a reality.
OFFLINE comes with 3 months warranty from her owner and a 2 to 3 day induction on the use of equipment and systems.
RCD Status: The yacht conforms with the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) and is categorised A – “Ocean”
- Composite construction with high density foam core providing exceptional stiffness and insulation. Laid up with vacuum technology for complete structural integrity.
- Vinylester resins are used throughout the hull for added strength and osmosis prevention.
- 2 x layers of epoxy applied to hull as a barrier against moisture ingress.
- A layer of Kevlar for added impact resistance in the forward area of the hull.
- Carbon fibre used in high load areas of the hull structure for added strength.
- Watertight bulkheads forward and aft providing sealed buoyancy and safety.
- Discovery Blue topsides in gelcoat with two white boot-top lines.
- Three coats epoxy protection and two coats of antifouling in Seajet white.
- Air Draft: 82’8” / 25.20m.
- Composite construction with sandwich core providing strength and stiffness with thermal and acoustic insulation resulting in a strong but light deck
- All load-bearing areas have marine-ply core and stainless steel or aluminium backing plates for added strength
- White deck has teak on all flat surfaces and capping rail.
- Hull to deck is joined with an overlapping flange, using urethane acrylate paste and stainless bolts for strength
- All bulkheads are over-bonded to the deck for strength and stiffness.
- Deck, cockpit and aft end of coach roof laid with teak.
Keel & Rudder:
- External lead keel — 10,000 Kgs (22,000 lbs) Ron Holland designed a high performance keel, specifically shaped to provide maximum performance, stability and comfort.
Engine & Gearboxes:
- 1 x Yanmar 160hp diesel engine.
- Twin Separ fuel filter with alarm.
- Walk-in engine room which has the very best sound insulation.
- Single lever engine controls at helm with a throttle on the twin wheel.
- Aquadrive for a smooth-running engine.
- Low noise electric engine-room fans.
- Fuel filter and water separators with warning light at helm.
Maintenance & Performance:
- Serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Propulsion & Steering:
- Twin wheels.
- Leather covered stainless steel wheels.
- Lewmar rod steering providing direct and positive steering and great reliability.
- 3- bladed Gori folding prop with overdrive facility for efficiency under power or sail.
- Shaft-mounted rope cutter.
- Sleipner bowthruster with 230lb/foot of thrust.
- 12V, 24V and 230V systems with battery charger support.
- 230v power sockets are a mixture of Swiss and German styles; where there are two together, the yacht has one socket of each style. These are waterproof when sited in exposed areas.
- Marine-grade tinned cabling is used throughout. This reduces corrosion and provides longevity of all electrical systems.
- Full electrical control / monitoring panels, which are readily to hand and clearly presented.
- 12v socket fitted to navigation desk.
- 24v sealed gel, deep-cycle batteries (480 Amp)
- Engine and generator start batteries with built in ‘jump start’ system for greater reliability.
- Domestic battery charging via shore power, main engine alternator or on board generator and inverter/charger.
- Invertor/charger combination
- 60 Amp (12v) alternator for charging the start-battery.
- 110 Amp (24v) alternator with intelligent regulators for charging house batteries.
- Onan 7kVa generator with 12v and 24v internal systems (upgraded at build to accommodate the air-conditioning system) (2017).
- 230v/50Hz shore power.
- 32 Amp 15m (16 yard) shore power cable with female socket and LED ‘power on’ light
- Isolation transformer to provide highest level electrical safety on board and galvanic protection, irrespective of incoming voltage.
- Seacocks made of Marelon (nylon) which resists corrosion.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
- Saltwater pressurised deck & anchor hose located in chain locker.
- Eberspacher (Espar) Hydonic M10 central heating throughout.
- Hot and cold fresh water showers with electric pump.
- Hot and cold fresh water shower at transom.
- Twin-coil 75 litre insulated calorifier with immersion heater allows heating via engine or heating system (230v or 110v).
- Tropical air conditioning in owners’ stateroom, main saloon and forward
- Dessolator 24v DC watermaker – making 102 litres per hour
- Automatic bilge pumps with alarm at helm.
- 4 x Electric bilge pumps with 3-way control — auto/on/off with high level alarm.
- Manual bilge pump operated from cockpit.
- Analogue fuel and water tank gauge for quick and easy reference.
- Total capacity of 1,300 litres.
- 2 x Polyethylene fuel tanks, which are erosion resistant, strong and light weight.
- Total capacity of 1,000 litres.
- All tanks made from polyethylene for reliability.
Grey/Blackwater holding tanks:
- Total capacity of 80 litres in 2 x WC blackwater tanks.
- Grey tank installation with level sensor, pump out to sea and deck suction port.
- Permanent gas supply and bayonet fitting for pushpit-mounted BBQ.
- Gas locker to house 2 x 6kg propane bottles
- Raymarine navigation pack with triple i70 instruments, C95 plotter, 4kw radar and Furuno GP33 GPS.
- Direct drive autopilot coupled to Raymarine evolution plotter and P70 control unit; 2nd Raymarine autopilot, incl. separate head, course computer and drive.
- Raymarine 100 handheld wireless remote for autopilot.
- Raymarine C125 plotter/radar for raised internal nav. station with lift mechanism; upgraded to full HD colour.
- Passive radar reflector.
- Echomax XS active radar reflector.
- Raymarine AIS, fully installed and integrated with chartplotter.
Communications & Weather:
- Icom M423 VHF with DSC, with masthead antenna.
- Icom M423 VHF with DSC, dual station and masthead antenna with loudhailer & horn.
- KVH Sailor FB 250 Fleet Track, fax, phone and broadband.
- Wi-Fi long distance antenna to transom, including wireless router.
- Bosch washer/dryer fitted in aft heads.
- Ocean Chef gimbaled, stainless steel gas cooker with 5 burners, grill, oven, harbour lock.
- Cooker hood extractor fan.
- 230v microwave oven.
- Inboard double sink for ease of draining.
- Additional recessed sink for securely stacking drying crockery.
- Electric solenoid gas safety shut-off valve.
- 300 litre fridge and 170 litre freezer.
- Both fridge and freezer are custom-designed, front opening, 24v and have superb insulation.
- Hot and cold, electrically-pumped fresh water.
- Pre-filter on cold tap.
- Optional dishwasher fitted under sink.
- Additional foot-operated fresh water pump.
- 24v Tecma electric flush toilets using either fresh or saltwater, with macerator and blackwater tanks (2 x 80 litres).
Heating & Ventilation:
- Air-conditioning in master cabin, forward cabin and raised saloon (2 x).
- 2 x Fans fitted in each cabin.
- 3 x Low profile dorades providing excellent ventilation.
- Tuner/iPod docking station with speakers in saloon and cockpit.
- Additional tuner/iPod – multi region – with iPod interface, including speakers in each cabin.
- 26” aft facing flat screen TV in aft cabin
- 2 x underwater lights mounted near the transom
- LED navigation lights, including tricolour, anchor light and steaming light.
- LED boom lights – shining into cockpit.
- Reading lights.
- LED down lighters.
- Red night lighting throughout interior fitted by the soleboards
Summary of Accommodation:
- Crown Oak interior finish
- Joinery fiddle detail with an attractive blue infill
- Amtico flooring throughout in Black Walnut
- Leather saloon seating.
- Leather finish on trims and berth headboards.
- King-size pocket spring mattress in the aft cabin.
- Recessed sky screens (shade/mosquito) to saloon hatches.
- Twin vertical hull port lights in aft cabin.
- Galley Corian in White Cap.
- Forward heads counter in Avonite Antique Glass.
- Aft heads counter in Avonite Antique Glass.
- Vertical, sliding acrylic washboard for companionway — gas strut supported
- Large floor drains to remove water quickly with grating to stop small items being lost in cockpit.
- All saloon windows are executed in tinted safety glass.
Description of layout from forwards:
From forward there is a crash bulkhead and behind this is a large double guest cabin with lots of storage and aft of this is a generous upper and lower berth cabin with a corridor to the main saloon. To port is a large heads compartment with a separate shower stall. The main saloon has superb vision to outside and is very light and airy. There is a u shaped seating area to port with a bench seat to midships and a sofa to starboard with a raised nav station from which you can watchkeep aft of this. There is an upper and lower berth cabin aft of this with excellent access to the engineroom. To port is a large and well ventilated galley which leads to the owners’ statement which a centerline double berth with a sofa at the foot of it, vertical ports making the area extremely light and airy. There is a spacious ensuite heads compartment to port with its own shower.
- Double Naturalmat airflow divided mattress.
- 3 x lee cloths.
- Mirrored wardrobe, shelved locker, drawers.
- 1 x overhead opening hatch.
- 2 x fixed port lights.
- 2 x full length berths with Naturalmat airflow mattresses.
- Lee cloths on both berths.
- Mirrored wardrobe and drawers.
- 1 x overhead opening hatch.
- Dining area for 6 to 8, raised to take advantage of panoramic view.
- Leather upholstery.
- Comfortable sofa on starboard side.
- Grab rails are located at key points.
- Highly durable, non-slip Amtico flooring, rubber mounted for sound insulation.
- Navigation station is raised to give panoramic vision with immediate access to companionway.
- Instruments are located for easy use.
- Red night light.
Utility Area/4th Cabin:
- Work room with full-size washer / dryer
- This can double as a crew cabin
- Ergonomic design for easy usage
- Corian work surface.
- Ample cupboards and under floor storage.
- Discovery designed waste chute and bin.
- Separate shower area to keep the heads dry.
- Automatic electric shower pump.
- Seat in each shower.
- GRP moulded units for easy cleaning.
- Mirrored vanity locker.
- Tecma electric toilet (fresh and salt water).
- 1 x Overhead opening hatch.
- Selden white painted 2 spreader rig
- Swept back spreaders which obviates the need for running backstays or checkstays
- Reckmann electric furlers on both foresails
- Navtec hydraulic boom vang.
- Detachable carbon fibre bowsprit and deck hardware to suit the cruising chute -(2 x blocks, 1 x stand-up and 2 x sheets
- Twin carbon whisker poles – stored vertically on mast, including downhaul, uphaul and snatch blocks.
- Harken deck gear
- Electric mainsheet traveller track, with push-button control at helm.
- Spinlock rope clutches on mast and coach roof.
- LED working lights on lower spreaders for deck work.
- Passive radar reflector mounted on mast.
- 2 x Lewmar 70 electric self-tailing primary winches for genoa sheets.
- 2 x Lewmar electric secondary winches
- 3 x Lewmar 55 electric self-tailing winches: utility, jib and mainsheet.
- 2 x mast-mounted Lewmar 50 self-tailing winches for headsail halyards.
- Mainsail Vectran crosscut VBM by Kemp Sails
- Dacron furling genoa and self-tacking jib.
- Cruising chute D/P constant radial cut and snuffer and deck gear
- Deep centre-cockpit for safety with culptured seats for maximum comfort.
- 10 x Opening deck hatches.
- Oceanair integrated blinds with mosquito mesh in overhead hatches in all cabins.
- Substantial cockpit table in teak, complete with storage and drinks holders and a stainless foot brace.
- Side-mounting boarding ladder in stainless steel.
- Dolphin-watching seats in teak and stainless steel, fitted on pulpit.
- Shelf in port lazarette locker
- Lazarette lockers fitted with automatic bilge pumps with alarm at helm.
- GS composite carbon gangway in white or blue, with grip bag
- Stern rail with teak seats for wake watching.
- Guard rails and extra high (740mm) stanchions for added safety.
- External grab rails on coachroof.
- Backrest/grabrails at helm seats (twin wheel).
- Pushpit contains a housing unit for two 4 man liferafts.
- Huge forward sail locker, accessed from deck.
- Side deck locker for additional stowage.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- 8 x Stainless steel mooring cleats
- 4 x additional mooring cleats – 2 at the transom and 2 on the bow.
- Lewmar V5 electric anchor windlass with winch drum and deck/pedestal controls and a chain counter fitted at the pedestal
- 40kg Delta bow anchor on stainless steel twin roller with 100m of marked 10mm chain.
- Fortress FX55 kedge anchor with stern rail support, 10m chain and 50m octoplait nylon rope in purpose-built storage bag.
- Deep chain locker shaped so that chain stacks neatly, this is self-draining.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
- Large full-width sprayhood with forward-facing clear panels.
- 2 x Pedestal/wheel covers.
- Cockpit table cover.
- Bimini top, with folding stainless steel frame.
- Tender cover.
Tender & Outboard:
- Transom mounted electric davits (175kg load)
- Ribeye TS350 RIB with 20hp engine, davit lifting points, belly bands, keel guard and blocks.
- ARC-recommended safety pack (including liferaft, lifejackets, flares, EPIRB, lifebuoys).
- Gas detector and control.
- Strong webbing jackstays along the full length of the deck for safety lines.
- Fireboy automatic fire extinguisher system in engine room.